Our institutional members support Museums Aotearoa to be a strong professional organisation for the museum sector in New Zealand. Click here for the current list of members.
‘Museum’ means an organisation which is primarily engaged in collecting, caring for, developing, exhibiting or interpreting the natural and cultural heritage of Aotearoa New Zealand. The term includes marae and exhibition galleries, or centres which are maintained on an on-going basis by other organisations. Membership is open to all museums which subscribe to and act in accordance with the Code of Ethics of Museums Aotearoa.
Museums which do not meet this definition or are unable fully to subscribe to the Code of Ethics may be accepted as non-voting members with the invitation of the board. Please contact the MA office if you are unsure if you meet the criteria.
Membership provides access to all the benefits listed below, as well as qualifying employed staff and active volunteers for significantly reduced Individual Membership fees.
- advocacy with the government and other stakeholders lobbying for the promotion of museums in the community
- access to Ngā Kaitiaki Māori, a special interest group for Māori staff in museums
- access to Touring Exhibitions Network NZ (TENNZ), a special interest group for exhibitions managers
- regular news about New Zealand museums and notices about national and international events through our fortnightly email News & Notices
- email advice of blog posts, vacancy listings and other special notices\access to the information in the members area of the MA website, including MA publication archives
- members' rates for all staff and active volunteers for our annual conference and other events
- hard copies of MA publications including our annual Directory of New Zealand Museums & Galleries and Museums Aotearoa Quarterly
- 'electronic membership' for all employed staff and active volunteers which entitles them to receive all our member emails and gives access to the members only area of the website
Please download the Museum Membership application form below:
Payment/Refund policy: Museums Aotearoa membership is annual, from January-December each year. Please fill in the appropriate application form above, and the Museums Aotearoa office will confirm pricing with you. If you wish to cancel your membership within 30 days of subscribing, please contact the Museums Aotearoa office for a full refund. No refunds after this period will be given.