Curator - Science
Nestled next to the Waikato River in central Hamilton, Waikato Museum, Te Whare Taonga o Waikato is one of the region’s premier cultural destinations. The Museum houses a diverse collection of Tangata Whenua, social history, science and art collections. This is an opportunity to join the Waikato Museum team creating a unique cultural destination for Hamilton and the greater Waikato.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced Curator to join the Museum team. This role will have an emphasis on our Science offering and will support the Museum’s other curatorial areas of Tangata Whenua, Art and Social History, by bringing interactivity and participation to a wider range of our exhibitions. The ideal candidate will be responsible for curating and developing highly engaging, hands-on, interactive, visitor-focused exhibits. They will contribute to new research and ideas around the presentation of science and museum collections. The role will also work closely in the development and delivery of education and public programmes.
This is a challenging and varied role for someone with experience working in a museum or art gallery environment or similar.
Our ideal candidate will be able to say yes to most of these:
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant field.
- Evidence of strong networks and working collaborative partnerships at local, national and international levels.
- A credible track record of achievement working with a science collection.
- A professional knowledge of collections management and the principles of object and materials conservation.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Public oration, influence and relationship skills including public speaking.
- Demonstrated success in communicating and promoting museum collections to specialist and general audiences.
- An ability to plan, set objectives and meet deadlines.
- An ability to work unsupervised and to provide self-motivation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate effectively in small teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in research.
Waikato Museum is staffed by a diverse, lively and friendly group of museum professionals who work closely together and strive to deliver a world-class museum experience.
The recruiting range for this role starts at $68,544 per annum.
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates will be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical and drug assessments and Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
For further information refer to the position description available on our careers website at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/Job or apply at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/Job/Curator-Science-Waikato-Museum/Hamilton-New-Zealand/22851
Please note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.
Permanent - Full Time
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand